Sprouted Val Bhirde /Field bean curry is one of the delicious Maharashtrian dish. All time favourite in my house. Val is a bit bitter in taste, so we add pumpkin to enhance the flavour of val bean. You can add drum sticks instead of pumpkin.
Showing my personalised recipe of making Field Bean Curry (Valache Bhirde)…
- 1 cup val (field bean)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 large Onion
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin finally chopped
- 1/2 tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Method of sprouting Vaal:
- Soak val bean in sufficient water for overnight.
- Remove in cotton cloth and keep again for 24 hours.
- Add water in sprouted val, 2 hours before peeling skin.
Method of making Val bhirde:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add asafoetida and cumin Seeds. After cumin seeds changed colour add chopped onions and saute till it become golden brown.
- Add green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt to taste and mix well.
- Roast till it leaves oil from the sides of the pan.
- Add finelly chopped pumpkin and sprouted beans and mix well. let all the masala coat the beans and pumpkin pieces.
- Add 1 cup water and garam masala powder. Adjust water and spices as per your curries thickness.
- Let simmer curry on slow flame till val get cooked.
- Garnish bhirde with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy yummy val bhirde with roti, phulka or steamed rice..
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your comments… Happy Cooking!!!