It is a sweet, delicious dumpling with jaggery and coconut filling. It is a traditional Maharashtrian sweet dish. You can make using two ways -fried and steamed. In India, modak are mostly made on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. It is Ganesha’s favourite sweet.
I am sharing my way of making steamed modak (Ukadiche Modak).
Recipe as follows..
For Making Inside Filling
- 1 Cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1 cup Grated Jaggery
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
For Making Outer Cover of Modak
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
Method of Making Inside Filling
- In the heavy bottom pan add Ghee, Fresh Grated Coconut, Grated Jaggery and Poppy Seeds. Mix well.
- Cook on slow flame until jaggery melts and mixes with coconut.
- Add cardamom Powder and Nutmeg Powder.
- Mix well and switch off the gas. Modak filling is ready to use.
- Keep filling aside to cool.
Method of Making dough for Outer Cover of Modak
- In the heavy bottom pan add water, salt and ghee. Mix well and bring the mixture to a boil on slow flame.
- Add rice flour in the boiling mixture and mix well.
- Cover the mixture pan with lid and switch off the flame after 2 minutes.
- Let it cool down for 30 minutes.
- Now knead the dough well with your hands. Add water while kneading to make smooth dough.
- Dough is ready to use.
Method of Making Modak :
- Apply some water or oil on your palm. Take small part of a dough and roll in both the palms to make a smooth ball.
- Make round shape bowl while flattening the ball with your fingers.
- Make the shape below with the help of your 2 fingers.
- Pour sweet filling inside the bowl.
- Bring together all the eges and make modak.
- Make all modakas.
- Keep water for boil inside steamer. Grease steamer plate with ghee or banana leaves. Put all modaks in the steamer and cover the lid.
- Steam modaks on medium flame. Switch off the flame after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some dops of ghee on hot modak.
- Modak is ready to offer lord Ganesha.
Watch my youtube video for making Modak…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSWGCqPLOk
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments. Do like my facebook page for getting more updates on recipes.. Happy Cooking!!!