Alu vadi is a Maharashtrian and Gujarati snack. Made with rolled colocasia leaves which is then fried to perfection. We prepare it during festivals or special occasions.
Sharing you my method of making Alu vadi.
Recipe as follows .….
15 to 20 Colocasia leaves (Arbi ke patte)
For Batter :
- 2 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp ginger chilli paste
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind (seedless)
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup warm water
For tempering and serving:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Method of making Batter:
- Take tamarind, jaggery and 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl. Keep this for around 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Put mixture in a big bowl. Add gram flour (besan), rice flour, ginger chilli paste, pinch of asafoetida, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, sesame seeds, oil and salt.
- Make a thick batter by adding a little water at a time and mixing well.
- Batter is ready to use in making Alu vadi..
Method of making Alu Vadi:
- Wash, clean and wipe colocasia leaves.
- Remove central vein by using knife. Use rolling pin to flatten the leaf.
- Apply the batter on a large leaf.
- On it place small leaves and apply batter again. Cover the full leaf with the batter.
- Now fold leaf from one side and apply batter on that side.
- Same thing for the other side.
- Now start rolling the leave tightly to keep the batter and leaves together.
- And its done.
- Prepare all rolls in the same ways.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a steamer or big broad pan.
- Grease plate with oil. Place all rolls into the greased plate.
- Steam for around 20 to 25 minutes.
- After cooling down cut roll into slices using a knife.
Method of tempering and serving Alu Vadi:
- Heat oil in heavy bottom shallow pan on slow flame.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds,sesame seeds and pinch of asafoetida.
- Add sliced rolls.
- Fry slices on slow flame from both sides for few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut and chopped Coriander Leave.
Its crispy and delicious. Enjoy!!!!!Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!