Gujiya/ Karanji are delicious sweets, made with semolina, nuts and dry coconut filling.
Its a traditional Maharashtrian and Gujarati sweet dish made in the festivals of Holi and Diwali.
Diwali, the festival of colours is around the corner. I made a colourful twist in my rainbow Gujiya by adding tutti frutti in the filling and coloured layers on the outer part of the Gujiya.
I am sharing my way of making crispy and delicious Colourful Layered ‘Rainbow Gujiya’ (Name given by my princesses)..
with step by step pictures…
Recipe as follows..
For making the Filling
- 1 cup dry grated/ desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fine semolina
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts like cashews and almond
- 2 tbsp tutti frutti
For making Outer Cover
- 1 cup all purpose flour/ maida
- 1 tsp fine semolina
- 2 tbsp hot ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp any 2 types of food colouring
- Warm milk
For making Cornflour paste
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp ghee
Oil/ ghee for deep frying Gujiya
Method of Making Inside Filling :
- In the heavy bottom pan dry roast poppy seeds and grated coconut separately on very low flame. After it changes colour keep aside to cool down.
- In the same pan add ghee and roast semolina on low flame till it changes its colour. Then keep aside to cool down.
- In a big bowl take powdered sugar, add roasted poppy seeds, coconut and semolina.
- Now add nutmeg powder, cardamom powder, nuts like cashews and almond and tutti frutti. Mix well.
- Gujiya filling is ready to use.
Method of Making dough :
- In a big bowl take all purpose flour/ maida, semolina and salt and mix well.
- Add hot oil or ghee, Mix well till you get a crumbly texture.
- Now pour warm milk little at a time and start kneading the dough. Dough should not be too tight or too soft.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Dough is ready to use.
Method making Cornflour paste
- Take ghee and cornflour in a bowl.
- Make thick and smooth paste.
- Add more cornflour if required. Keep aside.
Method of Making Gujiya :
- Kneed the dough and divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Add different food colouring in 2 balls and again kneed the dough of each colour.
- Get ready with these things before starting to making Gujiya.
- Make big disc (Roti) of each dough ball with rolling pin.
- Now take 1st disc and spread cornflour paste evenly.
- Now place 2nd disc on it.
- Now again spread cornflour paste evenly.
- now place 3rd disc.
- Again spread cornflour paste evenly.
- Now make a tight roll.
- Now cut the roll horizontally.
- Now cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Take one piece and flatten with your palm.
- Now roll puri while keeping outer colour layer up.
- Apply milk on the edges of the puri and add filling in the centre.
- Now seal the edges and create desired shape by using fork or gujiya cutter.
- Make pleats by using press and fold method.
- Watch video for this method: https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/videos/786062191499574/
- Make all Gujiyas in the same way.
Method of Frying Gujiya:
- In a deep frying pan heat oil on low flame.
- Fry Gujiya on low flame till it become crispy from both the sides.
- Remove and put it on a paper towel and let it cool.
- Delicious Gujiyas are ready to eat.
- See the beautiful layers.
- Happy Diwali…. with colourful layered tutti frutti rainbow “Gujiya/ Karanji” enjoy!!!
Thanks for likes..
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!