Tangy, Spicy Misal Pav
It is a Maharashtrian spicy, mouthwatering breakfast dish as well as a street food of Mumbai. Its a one pot meal and is easy to make. This misal curry can be made with moth bean, moong, green peas or white peas and it served with Ladi Pav Buns.
Recipe with step by step pictures as follows :
- 1 cup Moth Bean (Sprouted)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 1 small Tomato
- 1/2 tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut (Dry/ Fresh)
- 1 tsp Tamarind Pulp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish.
- 10 to 12 Pav / Bread slices
- 1 cup Finely copped onion
- 1 cup Farsaan
- Lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
Method of sprouting moth bean:
- Soak moth bean in sufficient water for 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove them in a cotton cloth and keep for again 7 to 8 hours.
Method of making Moth bean Curry:
- In a small pan dry roast coconut on slow flame. After cooling down grind in a smooth paste and keep aside.
- I made this curry in a Pressure cooker.
- Heat oil, and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. After cumin seeds changed colour add chopped onion and saute till it become golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and saute it.
- Add finely chopped tomato, red chilli Powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt to taste and mix well.
- Roast till it seperates from the oil at the sides of the pot. Add the sprouted moth beans and mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and close the lid of cooker. Take 2 whistle and switch off the gas.
- After opening the lid of the cooker add tamarind pulp, garam masala powder, coconut paste and simmer on slow flame.
- Add enough water to make a thin curry. Adjust spices asper your taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Method of Serving Misal Pav:
- Take Misal Curry in a deep bowl.
- Add chopped onions and coriander leaves.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice.
- Add farsaan on top.
- Serve with copped onions, lemon wedge and Ladi pav.
Give yourself a spicy treat with mouthwatering Misal Pav!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!