Wheat flour deep fried Gujiya/ Karanji are delicious sweets, made with jaggery and fresh coconut filling. Its a traditional Maharashtrian and Gujarati sweet dish.
I am sharing my way of making crispy Gujiya.
Recipe as follows..
For Making the Filling
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
For Making Outer Cover
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp fine semolina
- 2 tbsp melted ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil/ Ghee for deep frying
Method of Making Inside Filling :
- In the heavy bottom pan add ghee, fresh grated coconut, jaggery and poppy seeds.
- Mix well.
- Cook on slow flame until jaggery melts and mixes with coconut.
- Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Gujiya filling is ready to use.
- Keep filling aside to cool.
Method of Making dough :
- In a big bowl take wheat flour, semolina and salt and mix well.
- Add oil or ghee, Mix well till get crumbly texture.
- Now add little water at a time and start kneading the dough. Dough should not be too tight or too soft.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Dough is ready to use.
Method of Making Gujiya :
- Once again kneed the dough.
- Divide it and make small balls.
- Make a small circle with rolling pin.
- Add filling and make the shape of Gujiya using press and fold method or with fork.
- Watch video for this method: https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/videos/786062191499574/
- Make all Gujiyas in the same way.
- Make all Gujiyas.
Method of Frying Gujiya:
- In a deep frying pan heat oil on low flame.
- Fry Gujiya on low flame till it turns golden brown in colour.
- It will become crispy from both the sides.
- Remove on paper towel and let it cool.
- Delicious Gujiya is ready to eat……. enjoy!!!
Note: Finish this sweet that day itself or next day as it contain fresh coconut.
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!