Tangy, Spicy white peas curry/ Vatanyachi Usal is a Maharashtrian dish.
Simple and easy to make curry. Enjoy this yummy curry with Rice, Bread, Roti or Chapati.
I want to share this simple recipe with you ….
- 1 cup Dried white peas/Green peas
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut (Dry/ Fresh)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 1/2 tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Wash white peas 2 to 3 times properly with tap water .
- Add some salt and soak overnight or for 8 to 10 hours in enough water.
- Rinse again with fresh water.
- In a pressure cooker add white peas. Add enough water and some salt.
- Heat cooker on medium flame.
- After 3 to 4 whistles, switch off the flame and let it cool down.
- In a small pan dry roast coconut on slow flame. After cooling down grind in a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium flame, add asafoetida and cumin Seeds.
- After cumin seeds changed colour add chopped onion and saute till it become golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and saute it.
- Add finely chopped tomato, red chilli Powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and mix well.
- Roast till it leaves oil from the sides.
- Add boiled white peas and coat well with mixture.
- Add 1 cup hot water and simmer on slow flame.
- Add lemon juice, coconut paste and salt.
- Adjust water and spices as per your curry’s thickness and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Spicy, tangy white peas curry is ready to serve with Rice, Bread, Roti or Chapati
Enjoy yummy curry!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!