Modak, a delicious sweet made with jaggery and fresh coconut filling. Its a traditional Maharashtrian Ganesha’s favourite sweet.
I am sharing my way of making crispy fried Modak .
Recipe as follows..
For Making the Filling
- 1 Cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1 Cup Grated Jaggery
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
For Making Outer Cover
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Semolina
- 2 tbsp Melted Ghee or Oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Method of Making Inside Filling :
- In the heavy bottom pan add Ghee, Fresh Grated Coconut, Grated Jaggery and Poppy Seeds.
- Mix well.
- Cook on slow flame until jaggery melts and mixes with coconut.
- Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Modak filling is ready to use.
- Keep filling aside to cool.
Method of Making dough :
- In a big bowl take wheat flour, semolina and salt. Mix well.
- Add oil or ghee, Mix well till get crumbly texture.
- Now add little water at a time and start kneading the dough. Dough should not be too tight or too soft.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Dough is ready to use.
Method of Making Modak :
- Once again kneed the dough.
- Divide it and make small circle with rolling pin.
- Make the shape below with the help of your 2 fingers.
- Add filling inside the shape.
- Bring together all the eges and make modak.
- Make all modaks.
Method of Frying Modak :
- In a deep frying pan heat oil on medium flame.
- Fry Modak on low flame till it turns golden brown in colour.
Delicious Modak is ready to eat… enjoy!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog and do share your valuable comments.
Do like my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jyotiscookbook/) for more updates on my new recipes.
Happy Everyday Cooking!!!